Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tuesday June 23

This photo was taken this morning as Holly arrived at the hospital for operation sneak Haley in! I must say that the staff had approved it but we still tried to keep it a bit of a secret that we were bringing her in. After all, some people (who aren't friends of ours!) think dogs are dirty so we tried to keep it under wraps (literally!).

Some pretty amazing things have happened today and I couldn't hardly wait to get home and get to typing.

This morning, when I arrived at the hospital, John's eyes were wide open and at times he seemed like he was trying to mouth words. I told him that I knew that he was trying to talk to us and started asking him to say words. I would say, "John, say Melanie", and he seemed to mumble something similar to my name. I really thought I was imagining this but then his mom asked him to say mom and he gave a big yawn and on his exhale, said mom as if these tasks were too easy and I have to tell you that Paulette and I looked at each other in disbelief while at the same time fighting tears and chills. We tried a few more words and the consistency was not perfect but he impressed us with saying Hudd (his brother Raymond's nickname). Of course, when Hudd arrived he would do no such thing but then Hudd and Paulette stepped out of the room I said, "John, say Hudd" and sure enough, clear as day, he did. Unfortunately he did not repeat this behavior when I went running out to get Hudd to show him. This would be typical of John teasing us so I think there is some indication that his fiesty and funny personality is very much in there. I must say that while his responses are delayed at times and sometimes require more than one prompt, it is truly a privelege to see him trying to form words. He follows our voices with a great deal of frequency (too much so to think it a coincidence) and sometimes gives us a smile when we ask him to. He also loves to give Holly and his mom kisses and will pucker up with little or no prompting.

We were elated with this progress and while it may not seem like much, it is light years ahead of where he was even a few days ago.

I just received a message from Holly that he is taking sips of water from a cup and swallowing within 3 seconds. This is also miraculous because so far, his swallowing has been intermittent at best thus necessitating the feeding tube and IV fluids. In the past few days, the treatment team showed Holly how to use a straw to put droplets of water on his tongue and try to get him to swallow but up until tonight he has been unable to do so.

Each of these events brings us such joy and such happiness. I am trying to write this with guarded enthusiasm but I also have strived to be blatantly honest here and by golly when something good happens, I want those who love him to know all about it.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! Keep fighting brother, we are all with you!!! Coach Culpepper would be proud!! Hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all Melanie, you have done an awesome job keeping us informed. Thank you!

    May God keep a constant hand on John and bring him to a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyday I can't wait to arrive home and read this blog. It's the highlight of my day and I'm so amazed at John's progress. The photos are great so keep'em coming! Wondering how he responded to Haley today? Can't wait to be able to visit but in the meantime I'm praying along with hundreds of my friends and family.

    Many Blessings,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey John! This is "MessyGirl". Thomas and I cntinue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and keep fighting! You are a survivor!

    ReplyDelete