Thursday, June 25, 2009

Friday, June 26


The following is a true story bearing a striking resemblance to events occurring on or around June 25, 1993. Please note that any relation of characters to true people is absolutely intended however the recall of events is limited until John has the full ability to reply and/or refute information! I am quite sure that he will have additions to portrayal of events and I cannot wait to hear them!

To preface the story below, there is some information you need to know. Holly and John and I went to middle and high school together. John was a grade below us, so while we knew of him at the time, we didn't actually "know" him. Linette also went to school with us and she was friends with John then, and after high school, and she and Holly were friends but in separate circles if that makes sense.

So, as fate would have it, Linette and Jim decide to marry and John and Holly were both invited to the rehearsal dinner and wedding and re-met and began dating and the rest is history! Today marks Linette and Jim's 16th wedding anniversary and the 16th year of Holly and John being together. John and Holly would later marry on November 1, 1997.

The story goes that as John was driving to the wedding he was passed by a vehicle (speeding of course) driven by a cute redhead. He tried to speed up to her to get a better look and soon realized that not only were they headed to the same destination, it was Holly Moynahan from high school. Holly was equally surprised and delighted by the striking man John had become. At that time, it had been about 6 years since high school and they hadn’t seen each other or even lived in the same city.

So later, they left the wedding and drove to Boerne, Texas to Holly's parent’s house. The next morning when I asked who's silver ford probe was parked in front of the house (a bit askew and fairly far from the curb) Holly replied, “John Harris”, with a smile. My only response was, "THE John Harris"?? The short, pesky kid who was cute but taunted and joked all the time with his year older fellow schoolmates? And about that time, not short, non pesky, buff, 6'2" John walked into the room and I too was floored by his change in appearance. We must have graduated and moved on and then the kid shot up and he seemed huge and larger than life to me!

Of course, the teasing hasn’t stopped and all of us have a story of something he has said which made us laugh to the point of crying. I can’t wait to hear his distinctive laugh again and I look forward to 16 more years and more of being his sis-in-law.

Rather than trying to badly recapitulate the email that Linette sent me yesterday, I am just posting it here:

Just thought I'd share the attached pictures. The first is one of my favorites of Holly & John; the second is a picture that Holly took at my 40th birthday party on Feb 21 . In true "John" fashion, he gave me a "50th" birthday card to poke fun at my OLD AGE! But, he also wrote a sentimental note inside about our friendship. We are like the brother/sister that neither of us had! He said he was looking forward to spending our 50th, 60th, 70th, and 80th birthdays together. I pray that's in God's plan. Back in April John sent me the attached video (see below). The video really moved me and so I kept it. I've been re-playing it in my mind ever since I saw John in the ICU. I believe in my heart that John is going to FINISH STRONG. He's a fighter and his FAITH will prevail--especially with the love of his life and her twin sister right beside him every step of the way!!!

Please rub John's head for me and give each other a hug!

Linette



I wanted to make a note that we have added a section to the right for donations. Some have asked about giving money, blood donations, etc. so hopefully this will streamline that process.

I would be remiss in not mentioning the love and support Kara Siegel has provided to our family and especially me during this time. This blog is my first attempt and without her daily help and her extensive computer skills, there is no telling how or if this blog would get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment