Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday June 13

This morning, John had dialysis and this seemed to make him a bit restless and especially tired. When he is agitated, he pulls his hands and his feet toward his chest and raises his head off the bed. His heart rate and blood pressure is good which tells us that he is not in pain. He continues to run a low grade temperature and this afternoon, he is scheduled for a catscan of his abdomen to double-check whether an infection might be causing the fever. We continue to monitor each and every little thing and try not to get too hung up on worrying but at times, we want so badly for everything to be okay that we forget where we were just a week ago. At that time, we were hopeful for John to open his eyes and desperately waiting for signs of neurological improvement. While we still wait for further improvement, we simply cannot ignore the leaps and bounds John has made in his journey. On the weekends, our usual physicians are off and their partners take over so we do not expect any big changes in medical protocol until Monday. They come in daily but on weekends, the place has an eerie stillness to it. There are fewer people traversing the hallways and fewer people in the waiting areas except for those of us waiting for the next visiting time. The usual hustle and bustle of cleaning folks, and support staff is gone and there is a peacefulness about it.

I figure that John is just keeping his usual schedule of weekends off and maybe he was squeezing in a round of 18 holes at one of his favorite courses or doing some fishing in his safe place. Maybe he has just made the turn and hit a beautiful drive off of the 10th tee or maybe he is catching huge trout and fighting redfish at the coast. Either way, the most important thing is that he is being kept comfortable and is resting.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Mel! I wanted to let you know that I spent last week at Mom and Dad's. I was thinking about you guys so much the whole time. Everytime I walked out the front door I would look over to your old house and just think of you guys and what you're all going through and say a prayer. Mom, Dad, and Shannon send their love as well. Love, Tec

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family lived next door to the Harris's, on Timberwilde for many years. It was John who first taught me to ride a bike. He always treated me like the little brother he wished he had:)

    My deepest compassion goes out to John and his entire family. John has always had a strong spirit, humor and a love for life. If anyone can pull through this, it's John.

    Love,
    Bill Burch

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, You need to wake up. I miss you coming by my office and hassling me :) I miss that lunch you brought Jan and I. We miss Holly's beautiful face and smile. It's time to wake up. I need someone to pick on me and keep me in line.

    Holly, we love you (both) just know I'm praying for you as is the entire office. Everyday there is a meeting in my office early in the morning to check the updates on here. You tell John, it's time to wake up so I can give HIM a hard time for awhile. IT'S MY TURN!.

    We love you but most of all we know who REALLY loves us and has John (and we believers) in the palm of his hand.

    Denise (AIM)

    ReplyDelete