Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thursday June 11 evening

Today was a day of spending time with John and continuing to give him love and support. There is no new medical news to report, which is in our minds a good thing but these hours pass slowly. While we wait for some appreciable differences in his neurological and physical status we are also calmed and comforted by the love we receive from our friends and relatives. He seemed to be more responsive tonight and especially pleased with his brother's voice. There is rarely a time when we go very long without a call or email or comment on this blog and I must say that each of them affects us in a deep and meaningful way. We look to this space as a place of love and we continue to wait and keep vigilant by his bedside for any changes. We let John know that he is never alone and we are here for him and we never stray far from letting him know just how many people are thinking about and praying for him.

I would like to say from a personal standpoint that I am extremely lucky to work for the Texas Veteran's Commission and to work for a supervisor who truly has given me the freedom and understanding to know that I need to be with Holly and John. By the way, her name is Connie Jacksits and she is my personal hero! I had to make the phone call that none of us wants to make last Friday and there was absolutely no hesitation in her voice when she said, "Don't come to Austin, be with your sister, and with John". I cannot tell you the feeling of relief that she and my co-workers have provided. They have sent emails and texts and although we don't often see each other, I feel like I was with them this week, which happened to be our annual training. I hope at some point everyone can wake up go to work and love their jobs just as much as I do. Seeing firsthand the fragility of life might bring us all to the point of re-questioning our place here on earth and even our work here, but I am blessed to be exactly where I am right now. I am blessed and so very lucky to have both the drive to do something good in my job and the ability and flexibility to do something good here with Holly and John.

Holly's job has also been flexible and wonderful. Upchurch Kimbrough has given her a gift which is immeasurable in that she is able to take the time needed to be with John for as long as needed to get him better. We can say, "Thank you", but words are not adequate in this regard. All of her co-workers are pitching in to help handle her accounts and make sure that her customers are well taken care of. Also, the school district and particularly Spring Branch Elementary faculty have helped so much in their query to help John and us with benefits, and so many other things and his co-workers have provided non-stop love and support during this difficult time.

We know that it would be impossible to thank everyone for everything because there has been such a tremendous show of support and adoration for our beloved John but please know, that each of you in every way touches us in inexplicable ways and we love hearing from you here.

1 comment:

  1. Melanie, thank you so much for the taking time out of time with your family and keeping us updated. I must check your blog a hundred times a day just to check in for an update on how John is doing. Your writing gives me a sense of peace knowing that John is stable and eases my heart through each day. John is loved by so many people and I just wanted you to know how much I have appreciated your time on keeping us updated. Please let John and Holly know that I love them and I am always thinking of them. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete