Monday, June 8, 2009

Sunday June 7 evening

We are waiting at this point for the physicians to perform a catscan and hopefully we will get the results early tomorrow.
At the lull times we have time to reflect about all that has happened. From the first night when we weren't sure whether John would survive and all that entailed. That first morning when he once again went into cardiac failure and Holly was strong enough to run alongside the gurney like a M.A.S.H. nurse talking to John and telling how much we all love him while helping push his bed down those interminably long hallways and me clumsily tromping behind trying to yell out something but being to choked up to speak. The ups and downs of meeting with a myriad of doctors and trying to decipher what it all means while at the same time knowing that no one really knows exactly how John will be. These are long days and especially so, I am sure, for John.

We have been told a lot about what it means to be in a coma but the best explanation I have heard involves the mind retreating to a safe place while the body withstands a series of procedures...some of them barbaric. We are hopeful that John will soon feel safe enough that the pain has stopped and he can come back now but we simply don't know when that will be. If it is similar to how John lives his life it will take some time. I remember a day at their house when he was making a sandwich. To me, making a sandwich involves throwing some meat between bread and devouring it. I watched John make this sandwich and I swear it took 45 minutes. He methodically placed condiments on each piece of bread and layered the vegetables in such a way that this sandwich could easily have graced the cover of a food magazine! He even had a certain way of placing the chips on his plate and didn't begin to eat until he had somehow joined the two sides of the bread and aligned them perfectly. It made me laugh but I think it is exactly what he is doing now. He is making sure that everything is in it's place and he is doing it on his time...not on the doctors schedules or our schedules or anyone else's. We talk to him constantly to let him know that we are here and that it is safe to come back when he is ready.

3 comments:

  1. John,

    All of your officiating brethern are praying for you and thinking about you! Hang in there brother!

    - Brad Batt

    ReplyDelete
  2. John David,
    I pray to God, our ultimate physician, to continue to give you strength. I know what a fighter you are and I'm counting on you to continue and win this battle. Love ya man!
    Carrie and JN

    ReplyDelete
  3. the harris family and melanie .first off i am so proud of all of yall.i am also so very proud to call all of yall family.since ive known (john john) from the day he was born and ray and paulett brang him home he was always a cool kid.i hope you know (john john) this is just the beginning of a brand new life,its like being born all over again.god needs you to keep spreading his word. you have always been a caring little dude and the stories about the animals more than proves what a wonderful man and humanbeing you really are!oh hey melanie,you my girlfriend are the bomb.you say god works in mysterious ways well guess what my darling he put you in the right place at the right time.you are truly a great person.this blog stuff shows what a woderful thing you are doing for all of us and i personally thank you from the bottom of my heart!i want all of you to do one favor.everyday you see each other tell each other (I LOVE YOU) thats what god wants all of us to do is simply love one another.keep your heads up aND ALWAYS REMEMBER: IF YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING AND YOUR EYES COME OPEN ITS GONNA BE A GREAT DAY.I PRAY AND WAIT PATIENTLY EVERYDAY FOR JOHN JOHNS GREAT DAY!!!!!!PS PAULETTE I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW I REALLY DO APPRECIATE THE WAY YOU HAVE ALWAYS TREATED ME.I TRLY THANK YOU AND LOVE YOU DEARLY FOR THAT FEELING. GOD SPEED TO ALL OF YALL AND I WILL BE READING EVERYDAY EVEN IN THE CAYMAN ISLANDS. LOVE YALL RIVET RIVET RIVET!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete