Friday, August 7, 2009

Friday August 7



Sometimes when I think back over the past 66 days I am so grateful and yet at times I also feel perplexed. While, it is amazing that John has accomplished what he has in slightly over two months, it also confuses me as to how such a virile and wonderful person ended up in such a predicament.

His life has changed and our lives have changed. Those of us close to him miss the usual being around him, going out to eat or seeing him at the gym or school and Holly misses him at home. We remain in this holding pattern waiting to see his progress and hoping that he will surpass all expectations, and so far he has reached the moon and back. We also remain constantly on edge as to what might happen next in terms of his overall achievements and what the future holds. We have some idea as to what is possible but the truth is that it is such an individual task, that no one, and I do mean no human, can tell what the next few days, weeks, months, and even years hold for John. What I can tell you is that the photographs you have seen aren't apparitions or some desert mirage. John does stand and move and talk and walk and dance and his cognitive levels improve daily. I think the hardest thing for each of us is to realize that this is a process and it is a lengthy journey.

We have realizations daily about where we were and where we are but the fact remains that John continues to heal. His body is healing from being sedentary for a bit, his brain is healing from periods without oxygen and his soul is healing from being in a strange place for an extended period of time. Sometimes people want to know more about, "What is really happening with John", but I can tell you that what I write here is what I see. Granted, I am not objective...I love John as if he is my brother and he and I have a connection but I also feel deeply obligated to give the information to the blog readers and all who love him most, in a succinct and honest way without any sort of fluff.

I occasionally glance back to the earliest parts of his journey in my mind and through blog form and am constantly reminded that each day is a blessing beyond each of our wildest thoughts. To see him at North Cypress Hospital, then Triumph Hospital then TIRR has given me a perspective about his recovery which continues to confirm that his spirit and level of fight is extremely high. John never ceases to amaze me and although I'm not usually a tearful person, he can say something that will make me laugh so hard that I feel fulfilled and as though I might burst open with happiness and sadness all at the same time. I'm pretty sure the above photographs are an accurate depiction of this! I should mention that John is his usual self when it comes to taking photographs and he will rarely allow pictures to be taken without making funny faces or trying to strangle those near him!

No comments:

Post a Comment